Reveal the contents of the MCC agreement to the general public – SPUR
The President, Dasarath Jayasuriya of Society for Peace, Unity and Human Rights for Sri Lanka Inc. Australia has raised the concern of the so called MCC agreement.
In the aftermath of the tragic Easter Sunday bombings, the prime Minister of Sri Lankan Ranil Wickremasinghe on 27/04/2019 announced that the Millennium Challenge Corporation agreement was signed and that this agreement has provided Sri Lanka USD 500 million which could be used for development work. In two articles published on the internet in February and March 2019, alleged details of this agreement were leaked to the public.
The articles allege that the MCC agreement is nothing but a plan to splinter Sri Lanka and turn it into a US Military Base.
The Key points alleged in these articles are:
- The agreement was drafted after two years of secretive negotiations between Ranil Wickremasinghe and the Millennium Challenge Corporation and It was to be signed in November 2018
- Under cover of ‘Megapolis’ development, the Americans demanded from Sri Lanka an ‘Economic’ Corridor of 1.2 Million Acres of land from Trincomalee to Colombo for a lease period of 200 years and they insisted that US law must prevail within this corridor
- The US has offered USD 400 million for the corridor which works out to Rs.24 per acre per month.
- It appears that Sri Lanka has been offered 80 million USD more
- The area covered by the corridor contains Eppawela’ phosphates, ilmenite, thorium, monazite, and rare-earth metals Cerium and Lanthanum
- The US insisted that Sri Lanka should abrogate her land laws which had protected her Sovereignty and National Security and that Ranil Wickramasinghe has agreed to oblige by drafting to two new Bills – the ‘State Land Bank’ Bill and the ‘Land (Special Provision)’ Bill
- The construction of an ‘Electrified’ Railway Line from Trincomalee to Colombo protected with electric fences on either side which will effectively physically split the country into two.
- Anuradhapura and Kurunegala will be in the north of the corridor
The allegations above if true, show that Ranil Wickremasinghe has signed an agreement that destroys the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Sri Lanka.
Given the grave nature of the allegations it is imperative that the government immediately reveal the contents of the agreement without any redactions to the general public. We strongly request the government to do so immediately and all political and national leaders to recognize the dire implications of the agreement to the national sovereignty and take all steps to REJECT AND REPEAL ‘the agreement with MCC, USA.